Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Day 9 - Do You Swear You Won't Forget Me?

New Mexico is amazing. I can't believe I didn't know how awesome it was out there.

First of all, Santa Fe. If you recall, last night I stayed in because it was cold and snowy and I knew that I wasn't going to be able to see anything, and I didn't know where the nightlife was, so I made sure that I went around today. It was awesome. I'll be posting pictures tonight, too, but the Native American culture down there is so incredibly prevelant all over the place, as is the Mexican influence.

I didn't do too much there. To start off, I went to a place called the Palace of the Governors, which seemed to be a town square of sorts. It was really cool, there are a lot of art galleries, little shops and a couple restaurants. It was a really cool place to walk around and check out.

Next, I drove over to the Railway to walk around for a few minutes, which was also really cool (I really like railroads (gee, I wonder why)). There wasn't too much over at the Railway yet. Apparently they're at the start of a project to revitalize it with shops and stuff. But I got some really great pictures of the architecture and trains and things.

Santa Fe really is an incredible place. It's somewhere I'd really like to go back to and spend some more time (preferably when it's not snowing! haha), and I highly recommend going out there if you ever get the chance.

I hit the road at about 12:30 or so to head for the Grand Canyon. Now, I knew that I wasn't going to get to see the Canyon tonight because the sun was already going to be set, so I took my time, and I'm really glad I did because New Mexico, like I said before, is an incredibly beautiful state. There's not a lot there once you get out of Santa Fe and Albuquerque, but the scenery is unbelievably beautiful. I took a ton of pictures on the trip through New Mexico, so be sure to look through them. You won't be dissappointed.

Then I got into Arizona. Remember Kansas (after Kansas City)? Yeah, there was about as much in Arizona as there was in Kansas. This part of the drive was rediculously boring because there wasn't even anything to look at until I passed the Indian Reservations. Finally, I got through it and there were some great mountains to watch as I drove through. There was a meteor crater, too, that I wanted to go see, but when I turned off the exit, the sign said it was closed! So I kept going.

Now I'm sitting here in my hotel room, getting ready to go to bed. I'm going to post the pictures from today, too, so be sure to check those out!

Tomorrow, I'm going to check out the Grand Canyon and then head to San Diego! So I'll talk to you all tomorrow!

Love to all,

-Ian

1 comment:

Lory said...

Dear, dear Ian,

It has been such fun being a part of your journey. You are right - the journey is so much more than the destination!

Stay safe, have fun and keep posting.

Lory
No chance of forgetting you.