Saturday, February 2, 2008

Day 5 - They Plow at 6,000 Feet, Don't They?

I'm lucky to be alive. There was a good hour or so last night that I seriously thought I wasn't going to be coming back, but more on that later.

First of all, I have to say that I went to that club, Blayney's, in Kansas City on Thursday night, and, aside from being dead, it was awesome. The band that was playing (I never actually found out their name) was freakin incredible. True Kansas City blues, man. I loved it. Seriously, if you ever get a chance to get to Kansas City, I highly recommend you go out there and check out Westport or Downtown. It's sick!

So yesterday, I started my trip to Colorado Springs. I was all excited because I thought for sure that this time there wouldn't be any more car troubles. And I was right! Laverne ran beautifully the whole way through Kansas, and through some particularly rough times in Colorado (don't worry, I'll tell that story in a minute (Mom, you may want to make sure you're sitting)).

Kansas...well, I'm not sure what to say about Kansas. It sucks. I realized yesterday that pretty much all there is in Kansas is Kansas City. And I drove through Topeka and Wichita (I think), and there's still nothing there. I will say this, though, the sunset was amazing. In fact, when I get to putting up my next round of pictures (which may not be until Monday), you'll see a little bit of it. It really was a very scenic drive, except it got old after the first couple hours, and I still had like four hours to go! I did, however, stop for some water and Good N' Plentys while I was getting gas and met a lovely woman named Fern. Yep, Fern...I didn't think that that was an actual name, but there she was, standing two feet in front of me.

And that's about all I have for Kansas.

So I finally got into Colorado, and I was stoked. I was looking forward to finally seeing something along the way, and not just the rolling plains, but God had other plans for me. I had to stop and get gas, and when I did, I noticed that those Good N' Plentys that tasted so good along the way, had spiked my blood sugar (I'm not used to eating stuff like that anymore) and at this point, it had plummeted and I was near convulsions as a result (yeah, that's fun). Thankfully there was a diner right across the street, so I stopped in to get some food, and everything turned out fine.

Then the snow started.

Now when I say snow, I don't mean "oh look at the pretty snowflakes." No, I'm talking about cover the roads with six inches in the course of half an hour snow. Snow that's blowing so badly that visibility is cut to 10 feet at the most...and it was nighttime, just to make it a little more treacherous. So, since I can't see, and there are no lights anywhere around me to light the surrounding area (I'm in the mountains, remember, there are drop offs all over the place that I can't see), I decided that it'd probably be better if I slowed down so I didn't roll off the damn road. So I spent a good two hours driving a maximum of 30 miles per hour with snow blowing all over the place, roads covered so badly that I couldn't come close to seeing the lines, and people driving like tools all around me (you'd think that they were used to this or something). I don't mind telling you that I haven't been that scared while driving in years, if ever. It actually got to the point where I was getting ready to call someone and give them my pertinent information just in case I didn't make it through.

But finally the roads did clear up (I'm pretty sure that I just drove straight through the storm), and Laverne and I got to Colorado Springs safe and sound, where my friend Sheonaid, who I'm staying with, and I went out and grabbed a couple well earned beers :-).

Anyway, today we're going to try and go skiing (yeah, me...Deloisa, I told you that I'd go!), so it should be a great day! I'll let you know how it goes!

Love to all

-Ian

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

you idiot - that's when you pull over and wait it out

Mom said...

Listen to your sister! (Not about the "idiot" part) And thanks for the warning to sit down before reading it...